Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So about 10 days have passed since my last post

I realize this, part of it is my fault, but much of the blame rest on google.

   So shortly after my last post we were pierside in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. Just for a day, but being as it was my first time there, and my first chance to get off the boat I was fairly excited. Unfortunately, I had to wait about 4 hours for my friend Chase to get off work before we could go out. Not a big deal.
   We ended up renting a car, which was actually pretty reasonable. Only problem was that it was one of the ugliest colors I think I have ever seen. Something along the lines of a lighter split pea soup, but uglier.
   Well Chase and I ventured off in our rental focus.
   We headed out to the USS Missouri and USS Arizona Memorial/museum, only to find it had closed about an hour before. Damn you island time. Oh well. We will be there again sometime.
I then instructed Chase to shut off his phone/gps and drove off in whatever direction struck me. We ended up driving down the H-3, which is an amazing road. Flanked on either side by cliffs that are just consumed by plant life in more shades of green than I can recall seeing in recent memory. The road follows the terrain and goes up and down smaller hills, follows the edges of the larger ones and bridges and tunnels thrown in just for fun, and well probably to make sense, you know, driveability wise.
Got some pictures, going to try and upload them soon. Mostly shots from a moving car, but a few stationary as well. There's quite a few of us entering and leaving port also.

Since Hawaii, it's been business as usual. Wake up, eat, stand watch, fix stuff, get off watch, eat, play some bass, sleep; repeat until next port visit.



That port visit is coming up fairly soon, so more updates to come.

1 comment: