Thursday, July 14, 2011

3 months into deployment, and these are the things that I can still enjoy

1. Alice in Chains, they're always good, but for whatever reason I'm on a kick lately. Mostly the MTV Unplugged album. It would seem that the underlying themes of angst, depression and hopelessness are fitting on a navy ship at sea.
2. Youtube, without it I don't think I would make it through these quiet late night watches while maintaining any semblance of consciousness. Mostly we look up music. Some of the more memorable ones are Gordon Lightfoot's The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (It's a song about history), Polaris's Hey Sandy (the theme song to The Adventures of Pete and Pete) and some more that I can't think of.
3. The day after the midnight to 7 watch. This one is great because of the rotation we use. Once you get done with this watch, you don't have another one until 5PM the next day. And that, my internet friends means one thing: Sleep.
4. Sleep. Even though it occurs nearly exclusively in what could only be called an elongated crib mattress, it's something of a sanctuary. With just enough room to scoot and roll over, and all the creature comforts of a steamer trunk, it's gotta be one of my favorite places to be. You can... read a book, maybe listen to an iPod, or sleep! That is pretty much it.
5. Jeff. My self proclaimed "Best Bro Buddy." Makes watch interesting. Jeff also gets parts of his body waxed in the Philippines for fun and profit.
There's a lot more but my watch is nearly over. 'Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment